In the last five years, I've spent copious amounts of time binge watching YouTubers like Mini Marley, Naptural85, My Natural Sistas, and Donedo trying to learn all of the things about my natural hair and its only been in the last year and a half or so that I feel like I've been able to properly maintain and care for my hair!

In the last year and half I've also experimented a bit of an unhealthy amount with my hair while still trying to maintain its natural state. Over the last 18 months I've dyed, bleached, dyed, over straightened portions of my hair, redyed, tinted, over manipulated sections, dyed again, and heat damage, then darkened my hair. Yeah, that seems like all of it!


Here is your warning, in the latter there will be a stream of embarrassing pictures, hope you enjoy!

Lets jump back a bit to October of my seventh grade year in 2008-09 when I got my first perm, traumatic and a little late in life if I'm being completely honest. And the results were just as lack luster.



Believe it or not this was about two or three
relaxers into my new obsession with the creamy crack, and still crazy, puffy hair.

February 2015
                                            HAIR COLOR JOURNEY AND WHY
The first time I dyed my hair, I wasn't too successful. I've had dark brown hair since I was about three or four, after living four years with red tenged hair, somehow a year into college, because college kids are obviously so smart, I thought if I lathered two containers of manic panic purple hair dye it would take, I was very wrong, if I stood in the sun at the right angle you could see purple, other than that my hair resembled a close jet black.

And why you ask, if I'm being completely honest, I was bored and felt rebellious, and being away from home for months at a time gave me the time and opportunity to make a drastic change that might not be too drastic by the time I went home next. Plus since about 8 years old, I have been obsessed with Charli Baltimore, female hip hop/rap artist of the early 2000's. It was her fire engine red and on occasions hot pink hair that had me hooked. I had to have red hair but purple seemed a bit more realistic and conservative considering the job I had at the time required somewhat natural looking hair as I was one of 100 faces of the most profitable department on my college campus, so I settled for purple, for now.


December 2016

January 2017

March 2017



April 2017

May 2017
May 2017
December 2017




MY HAIR NOW

My hair now is somewhat omg the struggle bus. Most days my hair is in a puff or just doing whatever it pleases. I try not t twist my hair everyday an undo the twist to not cause over manipulation and ruin my curl texture again. Most of my artificially achieved color is gone as well except about a half inch at my tips thats about three shades lighter than the rest of my hair, but I'm okay with it for now.

FINDING INSPIRATION

Like I said previously, youtube is where I find my inspiration and ideas on future hairstyles. I even tried to make a wig following a video I found on youtube, it came okay okay but my head felt a little suffocated and I couldn't really figure out how to pluck the edges of my closure. Might I add, I also odontological know how to securely put a wig on my head! LOL (I'm not really sure why I even wanted to make a wig!)

MY EVERYDAY HAIR NOW

Almost always a puff!  Its my go to, most days I just need to slap on a headband and splash a little bit of water and I'm set. When I have o work my hair is pulled back into bun with two flat twists feeding into the bun from the front, I try and keep my work hair as fuss free as possible.





Comments

Popular Posts